DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2454-5929.ijohns20204190

Clinical, pathological and radiological profile of sinonasal masses in patients presenting to a tertiary care center: a retrospective observational study

Neena Bhalodiya, Kerul J. Prajapati, Parth Hingol, Simple Bhadania

Abstract


Background: The study aimed to assess the profile of various pathological conditions that present with nasal mass in Indian patients.

Methods: This is a retrospective observational study of 43 patients of sinonasal masses who visited GMERS Medical College and Hospital, Sola, Ahmedabad, India during May 2017 to March 2020. The clinical profile of sinus or nasal masses were observed along with their radiological features on computed tomography scans of paranasal sinuses. The age and gender sub group were also assessed for distribution of these conditions. Most of the patients were managed with surgical techniques.  

Results: Overall, clinical profile of 43 patients was observed. The clinicopathological examination aided by endoscopic and imaging studies revealed that 20 (46.5%) patients presented with the non-neoplastic masses and remaining were with neoplastic masses (53.5%). The overall M: F ratio was 1.5:1. Most of the patients belong to         11-30 years age group. The most common symptoms were mass in the nasal cavity and nasal discharge. Polyps were most common lesions seen (25.6%). Surgical intervention in the form of biopsy, excision of mass, functional endoscopic sinus surgery was performed in all patients.

Conclusions: This study gives an insight into various lesions presenting as sinonasal masses and their clinical and pathological profile. Overall, surgical management in form of excision by endoscopic or external approach is effective modality of treatment supplemented with appropriate medical management.


Keywords


Sinonasal masses, Retrospective, Polyps, Histopathology

Full Text:

PDF

References


Mills SE, Fechner RE. The nose, paranasal sinuses and nasopharynx. Diagnostic Surgical Pathology. In: Sternberg SS. editor. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 1999;885-92.

Lund VJ. Diagnosis and treatment of nasal polyps. Britis Medic J. 1995;311:1411

Lathi A, Syed MM, Kalakoti P, Qutub D, Kishve SP. Clinico-pathological profile of sinonasal masses: a study from a tertiary care hospital of India. Acta Otorhinolary Ital. 2011;3(6):372.

Zafar U, Khan N, Afroz N, Hasan SA. Clinicopathological study of non-neoplastic lesions of nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Ind J Pathol Microbiol. 2008;11(51): 26-9.

Gupta R, Moupachi SS, Poorey VK. Sinonasal masses: a retrospective analysis. Ind J Otolaryngol Hea Nec Surg. 2013;65(1):52-6.

Bakari A, Afolabi OA, Adoga AA, Kodiya AM, Ahmad BM. Clinico-pathological profile of sinonasal masses: an experience in national ear care center Kaduna, Nigeria. Britis Medi Cent Resear Notes. 2010;3:186.

Rawat DS, Chadha V, Grover M, Ojha T, Verma PC. Clinicopathological Profile and Management of Sinonasal Masses; A Prospective study. Ind J Otolaryn Head Neck Surg. 2013;65(2):388-93.

Dasgupta A, Ghosh RN, Mukherjee C. Nasal polyps - Histopathologic spectrum. Ind J Otolaryn Hea Nec Surg. 1997;49:32-6.

Drake-Lee AB, Lowe D, Swamston A, Grace A. Clinical profile and recurrence of nasal polyps. J Laryngol Otol. 1984;98:783-93.

Chavan Srinivas S, Deshmukh Sunil, Pawar Vasant, Sarvade Kaustabh. Case study of clinicopathological correlation of benign sinonasal masses. World Articles Ear Nose Throat. 2012;5(1).

Kreppel M, Danscheid S, Scheer M, Lüers JC, Eich HT, Zöller JE, et al. Neoadjuvant chemoradiation in squamous cell carcinoma of the maxillary sinus: a 26-year experience. Chemothe Resear Practi. 2012;2012.

Spiro JD, Soo KC, Spiro RH. Nonsquamous cell malignant neoplasms of the nasal cavities and paranasal sinuses. Head & neck. 1995;17(2):114-8.

Som PM, Curtin HD. Inflammatory lesions and tumors of the nasal cavities and paranasal sinuses with skull base involvement. Neuroimag Clini Nort Ameri. 1994;4(3):499-513.

Christopher TM, Brent AS. Benign Sinonasal Neoplasms: A Focus on Inverting Papilloma. Otol Cl N Am. 2006;39:601-17.

Weissler MC, Montgomery WW, Montgomery SK. Inverted papilloma. Ann Otol Rhinolol Laryngol. 1986;95:215-21.

Som PM, Lawson W, Lidov MW. Simulated aggressive skull base erosion in response to benign sinonasal disease. Radiol. 1991;180:155-9

Duzgum Yildrim, Omer Saglam, Berk Gurpinar and TuranIlica, “Nasal Cavity Masses: Clinico- Radiologic Collaborations, Differential Diagnosis by Special Cues,” J Medic Imagi. 2012(2)10-8.

Rahbar R, Resto V A, Robson C D. et al. Nasal Glioma and encephalocoele: diagnosis and management. Laryngos. 2003;113(12):2069-77

Nepal A, Chettri ST, Joshi RR, Karki S. Benign Sinonasal Masses: A Clinicopathological and Radiological Profile. Kathma Univ Med J. 2013;41(1):4-8.

Fasunla AJ, Lasisi AO. Sinonasal malignancies: a 10-year review in a tertiary health institution. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007;99:1407-10.