DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2454-5929.ijohns20213900

Our comprehensive experience with tracheostomy in tertiary multi-speciality hospital over four years

Parth B. Kapadia, Manit M. Mandal, Ajay J. Panchal, Rakesh Kumar, Neel Parmar, Vidhi Shah

Abstract


Background: Tracheostomy is a common surgical procedure used to achieve a secure airway in patients in elective as well as emergency conditions. Our study accounts for our first-hand experience with the procedure in our tertiary multi-speciality hospital.

Methods: It is a four year (January 2017 to February 2021) retrospective study in which all the 246 cases of tracheostomies were taken into account which were performed during this study period in the department of otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research (SMIMER), Surat (India). The patients were thoroughly followed up until the final outcome of the tracheostomy was established.  

Results: A total of 246 tracheostomies were performed, 63.82% of which were in men. The mean patient age was 42 years. The majority (76%) were elective, performed for various indications, while the remaining 24% were emergency tracheostomies. All tracheostomies were performed by otorhinolaryngologists. Complications relating to tracheostomy were documented in 40 patients (16%) intra-operatively and/or post-operatively which included bleeding, surgical emphysema, granulations along the stomal site and rarely shock. The mean time to decannulation was 13.48 days.

Conclusions: Our study takes into account and discusses the findings of all the 246 tracheostomies which were performed during the study period of 4 years. Elective cases form the majority although there is a significant case series of emergency tracheostomies performed for a range of pathologies.

 


Keywords


Tracheostomy, Airway, Prolonged intubation

Full Text:

PDF

References


Baiu I, Backhus L. What Is a Tracheostomy? JAMA. 2019;322(19):1932.

Beatrous WP. Tracheostomy (tracheotomy). Its expanded indications and its present status. Based on an analysis of 1,000 consecutive operations and A review of the recent literature. Laryngoscope. 1968;78:3-55.

Mehta C, Yatin M. Percutaneous tracheostomy. Ann Cardiac Anaesth. 2017;20:19-25.

Young D, Harrison DA, Cuthbertson BH, Rowan K; TracMan Collaborators. Effect of early vs late tracheostomy placement on survival in patients receiving mechanical ventilation: the TracMan randomized trial. JAMA. 2013;309(20):2121-9.

Terragni PP, Antonelli M, Fumagalli R, Faggiano C, Berardino M, Pallavicini FB, et al. Early vs late tracheotomy for prevention of pneumonia in mechanically ventilated adult ICU patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2010;303(15):1483-9.

Blot F, Similowski T, Trouillet JL, Chardon P, Korach JM, Costa MA, et al. Early tracheotomy versus prolonged endotracheal intubation in unselected severely ill ICU patients. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34(10):1779-87.

Perin C, Meroni R, Rega V, Braghetto G, Cerri CG. Parameters Influencing Tracheostomy Decannulation in Patients Undergoing Rehabilitation after severe Acquired Brain Injury (sABI). Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;21(4):382-9.

Singh RK, Saran S, Baronia AK. The practice of tracheostomy decannulation-a systematic review. J Intensive Care. 2017;5:38.

Wilkinson KA, Freeth H, Martin IC. Are we 'on the right trach?' The National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death examines tracheostomy care. J Laryngol Otol. 2015;129(3):212-6.

Adly A, Youssef TA, El-Begermy MM, Younis HM. Timing of tracheostomy in patients with prolonged endotracheal intubation: a systematic review. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2018;275(3):679-90.